The Town of Bluffton Municipal General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. Voters may cast their ballot for two Town Council seats. Those seats are currently held by Mayor Pro Tempore/Councilmember Fred Hamilton and Councilmember Larry Toomer.
The filing period for candidates for Town Council opens Tuesday, August 3 at 12 noon and will close on September 3, 2021, at 12 noon. Late filings cannot be accepted.
Candidates wishing to file for the offices of Town Council and appear on the ballot in the November 2 Town of Bluffton Municipal Election must do the following.
1. Must be a South Carolina registered voter who resides within the Town of Bluffton.
2. Go online to the SC Election Commission Website to obtain and complete a Statement of Intention of Candidacy – Non-Partisan Form. Form can be accessed at https://tinyurl.com/BlufftonElection.
3. Pay the required filing fee (i.e., $100 for Town Council) exercising one of two options: Pay fee in-person with Town Clerk Kimberly Chapman or provide Chapman your credit card information and she will file this fee online.
4. Candidates are also reminded that they are required to complete forms required by the South Carolina Ethics Commission online at https://ethics.sc.gov/campaigns. Town Clerk Kimberly Chapman will provide a packet of information for each candidate after he or she files. This packet will include further instructions about all requirements and how to set up an account with the SC Ethics Commission.
5. Recommended filing procedure: Make an appointment with Town Clerk Kimberly Chapman and the candidate and Town Clerk will fill out and file all necessary paperwork during this appointment. Please bring government identification card, voter registration card and filing payment to appointment. Chapman can be reached via (email) firstname.lastname@example.org or (Office) 843.706.4505.
The Town of Bluffton operates under a Council-Manager form of government, with a mayor and four additional council members, all of whom are elected at-large. Beginning in January 2022, Council members are compensated $11,000 annually for their service. The mayor is compensated $16,500 annually. Council member terms are staggered every two years. Each term is 4 years in length.
In accordance with the Town of Bluffton Code of Ordinances, and the South Carolina Code of Laws, election results are determined under the nonpartisan election and runoff election method. If needed, a runoff election will be held Tuesday, November 16. A runoff election is required if an insufficient number of candidates fail to receive the majority of the vote. Majority vote is determined by dividing the number of votes cast by the number of seats to be filled, and then dividing that resulting number by two.
For more information about filing for candidacy, please contact Town Clerk Kimberly Chapman at 843.706.4505 or via email (email@example.com).
Voter Registration Information:
Voters must be registered to participate in this election. Any person wishing to register to vote for this election must do so by the following deadlines:
• In-person registration closes October 1 at 5 p.m.
• Email, fax or online registration closes at 11: 59 p.m. October 2
• Registration by mail must be postmarked by October 4.
• Beaufort County offices of the Board of Voter Registration and Elections are located at 15 John Galt Road in Beaufort or within the Bluffton Satellite Office at 61B Ulmer Road in Bluffton.
• For specific information regarding registering to vote: https://beaufortcountysc.gov/vote/voters.html.
Further Registration Status Information:
• To check voter registration status, verify precinct or polling locations, please visit the Beaufort County Board of Voter Registration and Elections at www.bcgov.net/vote, or call them at 843-255-6900.
• If residents are unsure if they are a Town of Bluffton resident or if they live in the unincorporated parts of Beaufort County, otherwise known as “greater Bluffton,” please check your address within the “Am I in Bluffton?” Map. The link is: https://www.townofbluffton.us/bluffton/. Only Town of Bluffton residents can vote in Town of Bluffton elections.