Stormwater Permit Plan Review Process
As a part of the Town of Bluffton’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4), Phase II Permit responsibilities, the Town must have a Stormwater Permit Review Process. This review process is the Town of Bluffton’s plan on how to comply with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit requirements for the quality of the stormwater that is being discharged to public waterbodies. More information about the Town of Bluffton’s Stormwater Permit Plan Review Process can be found in our Stormwater Permit Flow Chart.
Visit the Citizen Self Service Portal to submit a Stormwater Permit application online.
Stormwater Design Standards Manual
The Town of Bluffton’s Stormwater Design Manual (SWDM) standardizes how stormwater elements of a project are designed, submitted, reviewed, approved, and inspected.
In September 2011, the Town of Bluffton passed the Unified Development Ordinance that incorporates requirements of the federally mandated National Pollutant Discharge and Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Stormwater Program. As required, the ordinance addresses elements of Minimum Control Measures (MCM) 4 and 5, construction-site stormwater control, and post-construction stormwater control, respectively.
The stormwater ordinance also authorized the development and implementation of a SWDM for use by the Town of Bluffton when reviewing, approving, and permitting construction, development, and re-development projects. The SWDM standardizes engineering and construction practices within the Town of Bluffton’s jurisdiction. It will serve to:
- Provide application submission requirements and the required National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Fees;
- Provide technical design standards to address water quantity control;
- Stormwater Checklist (PDF)
- Provide technical design standards Post Construction design and installation practices;
- Best Management Practice (BMP) Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Agreement
- Annual Post-Construction BMP Inspection Submittal
- Provide general information to improve water quality, prevent illicit discharges, and minimize stormwater runoff impacts; and
- Provide a closeout process related to stormwater projects
Sediment and Erosion Control
The Town of Bluffton’s Watershed Management Division is responsible for construction site inspections on approved land disturbance activities and enforcement of the Town’s stormwater ordinance. For more information visit the Town’s Sediment and Erosion Control Program page.