The Community Development Office facilitates the Neighborhood Assistance Program and Affordable Housing programs with guidance from the Affordable Housing Committee to ensure the following goals are achieved:
- Create a suitable and safe living environment.
- Expand opportunities for decent, safe and affordable housing
Affordable Housing - Workforce Housing Program
The Town of Bluffton has established the Workforce Homeownership Program to encourage the construction of owner-occupied workforce/affordable housing. The goals of this program are:
- To create a livable, sustainable community with enhanced quality of life
- To expand accessibility to quality, affordable housing options for infill development and redevelopment that preserves the Town’s culture, character and history
- To improve the quality of existing housing stock by offering options for poor quality housing
- To increase affordable workforce housing within the Town of Bluffton
- To increase homeownership opportunities to low and moderate income families
- To increase opportunities for homeowners to build wealth through equity by offering options to replace manufactured homes with permanent modular constructed homes
Neighborhood Assistance Program
The Town of Bluffton has established the Neighborhood Assistance Program to assist low and moderate income residents of Bluffton with property repairs and improvements that will help to increase the quality of life for all residents while creating a safer, more vibrant community that retains its character and provides for quality affordable housing. To qualify for assistance, applicants must have an income which does not exceed 60% of the area median income for Beaufort County.
For example, a gross income of less than $40,260 for a family of four would qualify for this program. View the more recent Beaufort County Income Table (PDF).
Definitely helped me out in a time of need.
Neighborhood Assistance Program client, of Buck Island Road
Neighborhood Assistance Strategies Plan
In response to the housing needs identified in the Housing Chapter which is part of the 2007 Comprehensive Plan, the Affordable Housing Committee has recommended specific strategies to ensure a comprehensive and sustainable approach to the promotion of affordable and safe housing and quality neighborhoods. The affordable housing and neighborhood assistance goals, objectives, strategies and performance benchmarks can be found in the Neighborhood Assistance Strategies Plan.
Wharf Street Home Redevelopment Project
The Wharf Street Redevelopment Project included the demolition of two vacant structures and the construction of six affordable green cottages on approximately a half acre within the Historic District for owner occupied low and moderate income families. Funding for the Wharf Street Redevelopment Project was provided by the Neighborhood Stabilization Grant administered by the South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority, a HOME Grant administered by the Lowcountry Council of Governments and the Town of Bluffton as well as many community donations and volunteer participation.
The Wharf Street Redevelopment Project received Southern Living’s Best Community Revitalization Award in July 2014 for the Town’s ingenuity to provide beautiful, smart affordable housing in the heart of the Lowcountry.
To learn more about these programs, please email Victoria Smalls, Community Development Coordinator.